Who are you?

Port City Mopeds is a group of several mechanics/hobbyists who share an interest of small displacement machinery. Most of us are New Hampshire natives, a few of us graduates of the University of New Hampshire.  Check us out.

Where are you located?

Port City Mopeds gets its namesake from the beautiful Portsmouth, NH.  Our primary sales/service location is at 124 Bartlett St in Portsmouth, NH, and is staffed most day.  We also have a service shop in Durham, NH, just off of UNH campus at 49 Newmarket Road, but is available by appointment only.  We are just an hour or so from Boston, MA and Portland, ME.

What are your hours?

We are typically available Tuesday-Sunday 10-5, but please call or email ahead of time to let us know you're coming by.  We're a small crew, so you want to make sure someone will be there to take care of you!

Can you fix my moped?


Can you fix my scooter?

Yes!  We fix motorbikes of all shapes, sizes, and flavors!  Vintage or contemporary, moped or scooter, Chinese or American - you name it, we'll get it back on the road for you!

Can you fix my motorcycle?

Yes!  We are happy to take on your small motorcycle.  We are sometimes pressed for shop space, so we may not be able to get your Harley onto the service docket, but give us a try.  We are also NOT an authorized motorcycle inspection station, so we cannot give you a sticker.  Do people actually inspect their motorcycles?  I don't know!

Do you sell mopeds?

Yes.  Check our for sale page. We buy and sell used mopeds so our stock is always changing. If we dont have anything listed on the page, give us a call or email and we may have something for you.

Do you sell parts?

We do have many, many moped and scooter parts in stock for replacement purposes.  While we are prepared to replace any damaged or broken parts from our inventory, we do not specialize in over-the-counter sales, and do not ship parts.  We gotta keep our shelves stocked for our repair jobs.  We can, however, try to help you source some hard to find parts.  Start by checking out some of our vendors:

  • 1977mopeds.com
  • treatland.tv
  • themopedjunkyard.com

What's the difference between a moped and a scooter? They're not the same?

Technically not. Although the great state of New Hampshire registers both mopeds and scooters as mopeds, they are not the same. A moped gets its name from having both a motor and pedals. MO-PED. A classic example is a Puch Maxi. A scooter is a similar creature, except that it lacks the pedals and will generally be clad in metal or plastic fairing. You may be familiar with a Honda Metropolitan or Honda Ruckus.

Do I need a driver's license to drive a moped? Does it have to be registered? Inspection?

In NH, you need a regular old operator's license to drive a moped... the same license you need to drive your car. It does need to be registered and this can be done at any NH DMV for less than $10... NOT your town hall. You'll need to bring them a Bill of Sale, which we will write you if you buy one of our bikes. In the Granite State, you do not need any sort of yearly inspection for your moped... just a yearly registration renewal. Awesome!

How fast do mopeds go?

A stock moped will do about 25-30MPH from the factory. Some restricted models do about 20, where some of the sportier models can do 35+.

Can you make a moped go faster?

Definitely. There are a number of ways to "soup up" a moped and we've just about tried em all. Call us if you'd like us to do some performance work for you. Keep in mind that every state has a list of specifications that a moped must meet to be legally registered as a moped. If we make your bike faster, it may exceed these specifications so that you will have to register your moped as a motorcycle (and therefore need a motorcycle license) or use it off road only. FYI, in NH a moped is defined as:

" 'Moped' shall mean a motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less which is equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horse power or less; if an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement shall not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power-drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears."

Many states have specifications similar to NH.